The transfer window is heating up! Transfer Talk brings you live updates on all the latest rumours and done deals. Check out all the confirmed January moves so far on our transfers page.
TOP STORY: Reds demand ‘astronomical’ Coutinho fee
The transfer window has only been open for a matter of hours, but Philippe Coutinho’s name already looms large.
After the summer saga over whether or not Liverpool playmaker Coutinho would join Barcelona, speculation has continued to surround a potential move. And the Telegraph reports that “after Barcelona’s presumption they will sign him in this window was taken to extreme levels” when Nike, their kit manufacturer, advertised a Coutinho shirt, Liverpool “will demand an astronomical fee” to even consider a sale.
It adds that although the shirt promotion was soon taken down, “the arrogance surrounding the advert fuelled the sense of intrigue.” Liverpool, who rejected three big Barcelona offers for Coutinho in the summer, will continue to stand firm after what the Telegraph calls “an extraordinary marketing blunder.”
14.53 GMT: Here’s Rob Dawson following up those claims about Darmian and interest from Serie A. Read more here.
14.42 GMT: Could Manchester United’s Matteo Darmian be on the move this month? He’s fallen out of favour at Old Trafford but remains well regarded in Italy. His agent has been talking:
Darmian’s agent Tullio Tinti: “I haven’t had any calls from Roma for him. There has been contact with other Serie A teams, but not with the Giallorossi. For the moment the lad isn’t for sale.” [rete sport]
— utdreport (@utdreport) January 2, 2018
14.35 GMT: Bad news for David Moyes if his interest in Stoke’s Joe Allen is real:
West Ham looked into possibility of signing Joe Allen but have been told he’s not available at any price
— Dean Jones (@DeanJonesBR) January 2, 2018
14.29 GMT: ESPN FC’s club correspondents from Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and more discuss their team’s transfer plans for the month and predict who could be on the move in the market. Read more here.
14.05 GMT: Conte also spoke about the prospect of Eden Hazard or David Luiz leaving Chelsea this month.
Conte confirms it will be “impossible” to sell or loan out anyone unless Chelsea replace them in the January market #cfc
— Liam Twomey (@liam_twomey) January 2, 2018
14.00 GMT: Antonio Conte has been talking about Chelsea’s plans in the January transfer window.
Conte says speculation linking Chiellini to Chelsea is not true: “Giorgio is a fantastic player but I think he wants to finish his career at Juventus” #cfc
— Liam Twomey (@liam_twomey) January 2, 2018
13.35 GMT: Real Madrid have spent €143 million on 18 different players in January, with decidedly mixed results. But they are in need of a big-name arrival this month.
Harry Kane, Mauro Icardi, Alexis Sanchez, Eden Hazard, Sergio Aguero and Antoine Griezmann are all names who have been linked, even though the chances of any of these moving to the Bernabeu as soon as January appear slim at best. Read more here.
13.10 GMT: Southampton and Everton have made enquiries about the availability of Arsenal forward Theo Walcott during the January transfer window, sources close to the Gunners have told ESPN FC. Read more here.
12.48 GMT: PSV Eindhoven striker Luuk de Jong is linked with a move to Mexico with America.
— Tom Marshall (@mexicoworldcup) January 2, 2018
12.25 GMT: Is there any chance of AC Milan goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma going to Juventus? Massimiliano Allegri is clear in his answer.
“[Wojciech] Szczesny is Buffon’s heir, I’ve already said that and I repeat it,” he is reported as saying. “Donnarumma is a young lad who has to grow, he’s at Milan and he’s forging his path. But Juventus have Buffon’s replacement.”
12.06 GMT: Sky Sports reports that Huddersfield are close to making Monaco defender Terence Kongolo their latest addition.
11.40 GMT: Leon Goretzka‘s agent has denied reports in Spain and Germany that the Schalke midfielder has agreed to join Bayern Munich when his contract expires in the summer. Read more here.
11.19 GMT: AS have an interesting angle on Cristiano Ronaldo‘s situation. The story, headlined “Cristiano is waiting for a call from the club to renew his contract,” says the €24 million net Ronaldo earns per annum is a lot less than the €40m a year received by Barcelona’s Lionel Messi or Paris Saint-Germain’s Neymar, even though those players have had less success recently.
11.00 GMT: It is reported in Italy that Juventus want to sign Emre Can this month rather than wait until the summer. With Naby Keita not set to join Liverpool until the end of the season it is unlikely the Premier League club would be willing to sanction a move.
Ecco la #primapagina di oggi: #Inter, #Deulofeu–#Ramires per la nuova #Inter; #Lazio, c’è #Caceres dopo la Befana l’accordo è triennale; #Nainggolan, festa esagerata del #Ninja multa #Roma e lui si scusa; Leggi l’#edizionedigitale ➡️ https://t.co/tMhRdhtAhH pic.twitter.com/Y3zj6UYZvq
— Corriere dello Sport (@CorSport) January 2, 2018
10.42 GMT: Leicester boss Claude Puel will speak to Riyad Mahrez about his future with Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal linked to signing him.
He said: “I like this player and I’d like to keep our best players. We will ask him the question, for me I am happy to play with the team with Riyad, with Jamie [Vardy] and others. You say the word, speculation. I would like to keep all my best players.” Read more here.
10.10 GMT: With the window open, Mark Ogden takes a look at the names — including Alexis Sanchez, Mesut Ozil, Emre Can and Antoine Griezmann – being discussed with regard to potential moves. Read more here.
10.04 GMT: Gianluigi Buffon has given an interview to Gazzetta dello Sport in which he says AC Milan goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma would not make a mistake by joining Juventus and replacing him.
9.45 GMT: More from Wenger… He has been talking about the futures of Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez, saying: “We have not lost them yet. And secondly we will respond to that by bringing in players of top quality. Read more here.
“This club has lost many, many big players and have always responded very well.”
Wenger gives strong hint that January signings will happen: “We are out there, and look of course to do some things, yes. We will do, but when is very difficult to say because it doesn’t depend only on us.”
— Mattias Karén (@MattiasKaren) January 2, 2018
9.30 GMT: Arsene Wenger has been talking ahead of Arsenal’s Premier League game against Chelsea on Wednesday. And he has been discussing one Chelsea player in particular. David Luiz.
Wenger dismisses reports linking Arsenal with David Luiz: “I don’t want to speak of any special name. But these reports are wrong.”
— Mattias Karén (@MattiasKaren) January 2, 2018
9.12 GMT: RB Leipzig CEO Oliver Mintzlaff has said Naby Keita has not asked for an early transfer to Liverpool while dismissing concerns the midfielder’s commitment could wane in his final months at the club.
“Neither Naby nor his agent have made the request to leave the club in the winter,” the Leipzig chief told Bild. “There are contracts, and they say that he will be a Liverpool employee from July 1 onwards.” Read more here.
08.50 GMT: Schalke are closing in on Juventus star Marko Pjaca. According to WAZ, the loan deal could be completed today and then be announced in Schalke’s winter training camp in Spain. The 22-year-old winger only made 20 appearances for Juve after joining from Dinamo Zagreb in the summer of 2016.
08.37 GMT: Marca reckons that Athletic Bilbao goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga is all set to join Real Madrid this month but the move could be held up by an injury.
— MARCA (@marca) January 1, 2018
08.22 GMT: According to Portuguese outlet Record left-back Faouzi Ghoulam could leave Napoli and join United if they meet his £53m release clause.
08.00 GMT: Good morning and welcome to the Transfer Talk live blog for Tuesday, Jan. 2. We’ll kick off with news that Jose Mourinho has refused to rule out making January signings, saying his Manchester United squad is “in trouble” because of injuries and suspensions.
“I don’t know,” Mourinho said when asked whether he would add to his squad this month.
“I know that in this moment we are in trouble. Maybe in two or three weeks time we recover some players. Can we improve our team now or do we wait for the summer to try to do it? It is something I cannot say. Read more here.
Barca fear City, United interest in Umtiti
Meanwhile, Barcelona are concerned that Manchester United or Manchester City could move for defender Samuel Umtiti and are poised to offer him a new contract, the Mail says.
Citing reports in Spain, it reports that the France centre-back “looks set for a bumper new deal” after his performances “sparked interest — as did the £50 million release clause in his current contract.”
Umtiti, sidelined with a hamstring injury, is likely to begin talks over new terms in the near future, and the Mail says Barca have made keeping the 24-year-old a priority.
Everton Tosun deal on brink of collapse?
How quickly things can change. On Sunday, reports said Everton could announce the signing of Besiktas striker Cenk Tosun by Tuesday. Now, according to the Mirror, they may not announce it all.
It reports that the move is “in danger of collapse” after Besiktas increased their asking price for the Turkey international “at the 11th hour” when Everton had believed a £25m deal was done.
The Merseysiders “are now ready to pull the plug if Besiktas continue to demand a higher price.”
Swansea keen on West Ham duo
Swansea have an eye on two West Ham players, one of whom used to star for them, according to the Guardian.
It reports that they want to sign both Diafra Sakho and Andre Ayew but adds that a successful move for Ayew — who cost West Ham £20m when he joined from the Swans — “is viewed as unlikely because of his salary.”
Swansea’s interest is mirrored by the Hammers’ monitoring of defender Alfie Mawson and midfielder Ki Sung-yueng, and the report says “much could hinge on what business, if any, Swansea are prepared to do with West Ham in the other direction.”
The Welsh club do not want to lose Mawson or Ki but believe they have a realistic chance of signing Senegal international Sakho, who wants regular football ahead of the World Cup.
– Celtic forward Moussa Dembele could be on his way to the Premier League, with Stoke, Brighton, West Ham and Everton all interested.
The Sun reports that Stoke could be at the front of the queue after sending scouts to watch Dembele against Rangers at the weekend, but Brighton “are expected to table a £20m offer.”
– Championship leaders Wolves are being linked with a move for Norwich City striker Nelson Oliveira, the Eastern Daily Press reports. Oliveira was a target for Reading in the summer.
Follow @ESPNFC on Twitter to keep up with the latest football updates.